Sunday, December 6, 2009

Tortilla Soup Recipe

This is vegetarian. I am sure you could add chicken and chicken broth to the recipe. But it is excellent without.

Ingredients:
1 large (28oz i think) can of peeled tomatoes
(although the recipe doesn't call for it, I also add about 3 fresh tomatoes)
3 garlic cloves unpeeled
2 jalapenos
1 large onion
1 bunch of cilantro
queso fresco, jack or mozerella cheese
6 cups of vegetable broth
1 bag of tortilla chips (I use blue chips)
salt
fresh ground pepper
mexican oregano if you can find it
(I've never added oregano, but I do add chopped avacado to each bowl of soup)

in a dry pan roast the jalepenos and garlic until they start getting a little brown on the outside. the jalepeno seeds will make a popping sound.

slice the onion into thin rings. saute till golden in a large soup pot with olive oil/veg oil.

put jalapenos (remove the seeds beforehand) and peeled garlic in food processor.
frapé

strain tomatoes and place them in the food processor with all the other goodies. chop em up real good. pour into pot with the onions. cook over medium heat till the mixture turns a bit darker shade of red about 5min.

pour in vegetable broth. add salt and some freshground pepper, oregano if you got. Simmer for 10-15 min.

add chips into soup bowls. place handful of shedded cheese over the chips, then ladel contents of soup into bowl. add cilantro and salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment