Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve at the Biltmore Estate

Its 51 degrees and we are driving into SC.

This morning we toured Biltmore. It was special to me because I have taught a couple of my classes about the estate over the past few years. I have pics of the exterior, but not the interior which was decorated for the holidays. Each room had its own christmas tree and presents. The mansion was beautiful.

We also went to Carl Sandburg's home. He was a writer in the 40's-60s. For anyone interested in art, he was good friends with Edward Steichen and collaborated on the exhibition "family of man."

His wife bred goats-had 200 at one time. They still have goats on the farm. I took some pics. They are adorable. You will see a cat who just sits with them and seems to be their guardian.

We are headed to Beacon's Drive-in in SC featured on "diners drive-ins and dives."

Then Jacksonville, FL!

Pics to follow as long as we have internet at the hotel.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are hitting some really cool places. I bet the rooms inside the Biltmore were just spectacular! Drive careful during your travels.

    ReplyDelete