Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Teaching Mishap

On the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I passed out after teaching my first class of the day. Students were on their way out the door, while a few stayed to ask questions. I felt like I was going to pass out even before class ended, so I did my best to wrap up without them noticing I didn't feel so well. Didn't work! I passed out and my mouth hit the podium. I "woke up" while I was still standing, but my lip was busted open. The interpreter for the class (she communicates through sign language for one of my students) called 911, while a student went to get my some paper towels for my mouth - ouch. Another student gave me nice soft tissues. While we were waiting for the ambulance, a student told me that she was anemic and that she has to lay down from time to time. They were all very supportive.

I went to the doctor and all my tests came out fine. My glucose was a little high, but I had a sugary starbucks drink and didn't eat much else in the morning. I am going to get an appointment with a family doctor for a second opinion. I have yet to find one in Toledo, but I may go to Matt's doctor.

I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds super scary! Glad you had some understanding students and not ones that just decided to step over you as you bled. Keep us posted on any updates.
    BTW, I just love the new layout! It's so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to check out my blog because I've given you an award!!!!

    ReplyDelete