Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello 7-19-2010

I was excited to visit Monticello, because I teach this in my Western Art Survey and American art classes. I spend a whole day on it, when I could probably gloss over it in 15 minutes. There is so much to explore here. Jefferson was not only a president, a collector, an inventor, but also an architect (he designed Monticello) among many other things.

Floorplan of the house (bottom center)
and slave tunnels (each side)
The tunnels are below ground so they could go about their
business without Jefferson noticing them.
Interestingly, the slaves were treated as family.
The butler ran the house and was also a slave.
He was later freed in Jefferson's will.

tunnel

bathroom

Jefferson's grave site

2 comments:

  1. This blog post makes me want to run out and research Monticello. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the butler was the only slave he freed after his death. All 400 or so remained slaves.

    ReplyDelete